This form is for nonfiction submissions of all types between 1,000 and 3,000 words. This includes essays, memoir, reviews, and criticism.
If a piece is particularly urgent, please indicate that by adding "TIMELY" to the subject line.
We do not accept pitches. Please send the full manuscript you’d like us to work with.
Response times vary; please be patient, as we read and consider all submissions carefully.
- We accept only electronic submissions using the Submittable system.
- Please one submission at a time, no multiple submissions.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, as long as you immediately notify Guernica editors that your piece has been accepted elsewhere.
- We do not accept pitches. Please send the full manuscript you’d like us to work with.
- We are only interested in original, unpublished manuscripts. Your work must not have been published elsewhere, including on your personal website or blog. Translations may have appeared in their original languages, but not in English.
- Guernica will hold exclusive print and digital rights to your published piece for 90 days, after which you will retain the rights; your story will remain archived online.
- We are an all-volunteer organization. Allow at least sixteen weeks for a response. Response time will likely be longer than either of us would like.
- Guernica offers honoraria of $50 for poetry, $100 for original essays, and $150 for original fiction and for reportage.